Valparaiso, IN asked in Employment Law for Indiana

Q: In Indiana, may my supervisor terminate me for filing a harassment claim against a coworker?

I work for the county. A coworker is doing what she can to alienate me from others in the office by verbally attacking me. She gossips about me to coworkers, and to my supervisor. She tells every one any mistake I make, but most of what she says is false. The first time I brought it up to my supervisor, she met with the coworker, then tried to get us together. My coworker refused, explaining she couldn't even be in the same room, because she 'hated me,' which my supervisor accepted. I went to the office manager who is also a friend, and I was told, that according to the supervisor, the next person to bring it up would be fired. That could only be me. Last week I reached the end of my patience, went to H/R, and they arranged a meeting. When I got there my supervisor was in charge, the H/R person didn't say a word, and I was again threatened with termination. I do have evidence, and witnesses. My supervisor is not interested in what I have to say, or what other people have to say.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson

A: You are in a tough situation. Generally speaking, your complaint about your co-worker is not protected, which means you won't have any legal recourse if you are terminated. To be protected, the harassment needed to have been about your race, religion, gender, a disability, etc. That does not sound like the case here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.