Berwick, PA asked in Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I settle debt with a collection agency directly, or do I need to go through the court if already served papers?

A debt collection agency is taking me to court for $2,200. I was served papers and was advised I had 20 days to enter a written appearance. Can I attempt to settle this out of court with the collection agency directly, or do I need to go through the court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can do both, but you can't ignore the court unless you want a default judgment against you in the full amount sought. Adhere to all court deadlines, but at the same time (and if you like), try to negotiate with your creditor (or its agent, whoever has filed suit against you). If something is worked out quickly, the creditor will dismiss the suit or mark it settled/ended with the court. If no resolution is reached, then you'll go to court.

Best of luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.