Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Indiana

Q: Son is 18 in school and has joined the us national guards.

Son is 18 has joined the national guards. He has done his basic training over the summer and now goes once a month over the weekend and gets paid from them, do I still have to pay on him till he is 19....

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: You can petition the court and ask them to find that your child is emancipated (and therefore have your support obligation terminated). However, given the facts you've put forward, you may have an uphill battle on this one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.