Genoa, NE asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Nebraska

Q: What state has Jurisdiction under UCCJEA?

4 Children born NE

Parents divorced

Mother and 2 children move to IL

Father and 2 children remain in NE

2 children travel to NE for summer vacation.

Father files Emer. custody and doesn't return children to IL

Mother was never served and notification was published in NE newspaper.

Mother is partially disabled and cant travel to NE to fight in court.

Father refuses contact with Mother and her family (grandmother and.aunt who live in NE)

Mother cleared for travel, and goes to NE

Father still refuses contact. Mother doesn't know what to do, goes back to IL

Child Support proceedings start.

Again, mother not notified. Still disabled, unable to work and now ordered to pay over 250/month when she has no Income.

Now, Father takes off to TX with children without notifying the court or Mother.

Father can't support kids, sends 1 child back to NE to Non-Relative & attempts suicide. CPS removed children and refused to return to mother

3 in Tx &1 in NE

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: For an initial custody determination, the state where the children have been residing the last 6 months is generally the court/state that gets to decide the custody issues. For a modification action, jurisdiction generally remains with the original jurisdiction as long as at least one of the parents continues to reside in that jurisdiction. Generally a parent needs court permission in order to move a child from Nebraska.

The rules for custody jurisdiction are different than the rules for a child support only order. Custody jurisdiction is generally determined under the UCCJEA. Child support only jurisdiction is generally determined under the UIFSA.

There are exceptions to these rules and a court can have emergency temporary jurisdiction as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.