Buffalo, MN asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: At age 17 could I legally move out without parental consent and without emancipation in Oregon ?

Currently enrolled in school and getting good grades and have a job

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Why don't you just wait until you turn 18 and not worry about the legal aspects. If you live to be 100 years old, which is where our life expectancies are heading, that means 82 years on your own. What's your rush? In terms of the law you have no legal capacity to sign any legal documents until you turn 18. So you can't sign any contracts like to rent an apartment or buy a car. You will technically be a runaway although the police might not force you to go home since you are almost 18. So while you don't have any legal right to leave home, you could and maybe no one will try to force you to go home. But it just seems foolish and immature do be in such a rush. If I were you I would be saving up for college and appreciating the fact that you aren't out in the world being clobbered by all the financial heartaches that you will have to deal with some day.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.