Hermitage, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: Grandparent custody question. Both parents arrested.

My son in law is in jail for molesting my granddaughter and her half sister. My daughter was arrested for choking my granddaughter and intimidating her. My daughter has not permitted me to see my grandchildren. There are three. When my daughter was arrested I picked up the eldest three from school. The 13 year old who has been the victim was volatile. My grandsons 10 and 5 were fabulous. The 1.5 year old was with her aunt... I want custody of the boys. The 13 year old is with her great grandmother who has encouraged the behavior and the 13 year old feels most comfortable with her. The baby was with the aunt. My daughter has been out on bail until the 29th. We are sailing to the southern carribean. We asked to take the boys, but daughter denied us. We want emergency custody of the boys. Is this out of line with the law?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penelope A. Boyd
Penelope A. Boyd
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • West Chester, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should consult a local attorney about your custody options. It sounds like these kids will need a lot of support. If your question is whether or not you could get some form of custody, it is a possibility you can explore through the courts and/or the local Children & Youth agency. It is unlikely that you could take any of the children out of the country at this time. But there’s no harm in talking to a local family lawyer about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.