Gresham, OR asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: i sent a modification to the courts because my child is 19 and not in school, mother got wind and is fighting it

mother went and got him enrolled into community college starting today so it will show he is in school on our court date 02/25. she does not give him the child support nor does he live with her. she lies about it saying he does, she is homeless living with her parents, but wants my child support to go up because she doesnt make 3x's the rent to get an apartment. Will i be forced to pay child support for a kid who hasnt been in her care or school from may of last year until now. he did turn 19 in december. My child support order does not say anything about him being in college. i already put in a request for modification of parenting time with my youngest as he is never with her either due to her living situation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Child support for your 19-year-old child should end when he turned 19, assuming he has graduated from high school. His being in college should not matter. However, it appears you have another child. So, child support should be re-calculated with the current incomes and time-sharing factors. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.