Newport, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: I was placed on probation for 8 years. My crime was aggravated domestic assault

Since then the order of no contact was lifted and signed by Judge Vance. I have completed my ordered classes, paid off my fines and court costs. I still reside with the "victim".

I am at the halfway mark in terms of my probation.

How can I go about filing a motion for termination from probation?

I strongly feel that my probation will speak on my behalf.

How much does representation cost? What are my chances?

Note: I do have 1 technical violation over 1 year ago

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can file a Motion to Modify your Sentence to Unsupervised Probation for the remainder. You need all costs paid perfectly, and the PO or DA can oppose it if they want. These Motions are usually granted if not immediately, then later. I recommend you have a competent attorney file it and argue it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.