Hillman, MN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: If my rights to my youngest child were involuntarily terminated, does that also terminate my rights to my previous two?

I have a son who's gonna be 15 in July, and a daughter who is 10, with one woman. After we separated, we managed to agree to visitation, and custody, without going to court. She has had physical custody of both of them for the last few years. During that time I had another daughter who just turned 3. My rights to her were involuntarily terminated due to chemical dependency, about 7 months ago. I have been sober now about 5 months, and my son would like to live with me. What rights do I have? Are my rights terminated to all my children? I live in Minnesota.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Termination of rights to one child does not terminate rights to other children.

You indicated that you and the mother have "separated" and agreed to custody and visitation. Were or are you married to one another? If not, you have no enforceable parental rights unless you go to court, are adjudicated the father, and awarded parenting time with the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.