Cabot, AR asked in Probate for Arkansas

Q: My husband died he lived in Co. We had been separated for 30 yrs but never devorced also have 3 children together. His

His girlfriend had a daughter with him and claimed she was his wife. They actually got married and now there's bigomy. I contacted the funeral home and informed them that she was not legally married to him and gave them info where to verify this and they did, so they changed the death certificate and called her a significant other and listed me as the spouse. The auto insurance had already paid her 50,000 on accidental death. He has 401 k and a home and life Insurance. We've recieved nothing from his esstate. How long do the children and I have to file a claim.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Changose
William J Changose
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Hello,

Sorry you're having such a hard time. In Arkansas you have five years after a person dies to settle the estate.

You should contact a lawyer because you have described a couple issues that will need to be taken care of with precision.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.