Vienna, VA asked in Estate Planning, Collections and Probate for Oregon

Q: What is the legal process to gain legal authority to act on deceased behalf when there is no will and no estate?

My sister was struck and killed by a car in November 2019 in Portland OR. She was married and has no children. She died without a will and what we believe is an insolvent estate as we came to find out that she was secretly in a mountain of debt. Many collections agencies will not release information regarding her debt until I/her husband send something legal that says we have rights to access this information (a death certificate isn't enough). There is no Power of Attorney and we are considering not opening an estate, so there would be no appointed administrator. We need to find out the total of the debt to make an informed decision as to whether or not we file to open a small estate. Can you give advice as to how we can access this much needed account information? We are also seeking a probate/estate attorney to help navigate this. How do I find one?

1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, there is no legal way to obtain the information you need about your sister's debt without filing a probate. Since your sister passed without a Will her spouse will inherit her estate through Oregon's intestate laws. I recommend he hire an experienced probate attorney to meet with him and discuss what needs to happen next.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.