Plattsburgh, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: What is the procedure in PA to file for a change of jurisdiction to another state for child custody?

My children are not PA residents and there is documented child abuse (through counselors) in the PA parent's home. All evidence is outside PA.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I see you're asking your question from NY State, and so I'll presume that the state where you and the children reside.

So long as the children have resided in NY State for the past six (6) months, NY State should have jurisdiction of child custody decisions now. Open a custody case in your home NY county, and file a petition to modify custody based on the new abuse allegations. You'll probably want to talk to a NY family law attorney to assist you with this as well.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.