Aliquippa, PA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: Will my child be free from their father if their father moves from Pennsylvania to Florida without an arrangement?

We do not currently have an official custody arrangement. It has been 9 years since we divorced. The children are both 15 years old. We are afraid to go for court for one because the children don't want to see their father more than they have to if we fail to get sole custody. However, the father is moving to Florida in a month. He hasn't gotten a court order that will make my children fly down to see him. He expects that my children want to, because they are scared to tell him they don't want to see him. (Their father has a quick temper)

Would we be safe, legally, once their father has relocated to Florida?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I am not sure what safe legally means? The father has an equal right to see his children, so a court may order visitation. The children's viewpoint is one of 16 factors the court considers in ordering visitation. Here is where it gets nasty. Florida is a member of the custody compact but they also have rules of their own. You have avoided letting the court get involved. Be careful that at some point he doesn't get the court involved to your detriment. At the very least, consult with a local attorney before this happens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.