Kingston, PA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a child reside in a deceased parent's home, leaving the deceased parents name on the deed and continue to pay school

taxes and property taxes in deceased parent's name?When child gets short certificate, fo they have to report real estate if it's value is $6000?

Can a child continue to live there?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo

A: Doing this alone will not denote ownership of the real estate.

Tim Akpinar and Nina Whitehurst agree with this answer

Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There are many unknowns here and hard to give a clear answer, but the simple answer is the child does not get title or ownership of the home just by living there and continuing to pay real estate taxes. There are a number of issues that should be dealt with quickly if the child is living or plans to live in the home: If parents are deceased there may be inheritance taxes due (even if no tax due should file a return to keep title clear for future possible sale) ; There should be a search to make sure there is no mortgage or other debt that may be a lien on the home; Utilities need to be in proper owner/resident name; And an estate should be opened so that a new Deed can be issued to the child. This all assumes that the child occupying the home is the only child. Finally insurance should be obtained on the home (either by the Estate or as soon as new Deed is issued depending on how quickly this can be handled and on when home is occupied).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.