Florissant, MO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Can the non-custodial parent take the child without consent and i do not know the whereabouts of my child (Missouri)

I do not know the address as to where the non-custodial parent lives . & he refuses to bring my child back . Don’t even know if my child is ohkay or not . What can be done ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa Rieger Housholder
Teresa Rieger Housholder
  • Marshfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri


  Chapter 565

  565.153. Parental kidnapping — penalty. — 1. In the absence of a court order determining rights of custody or visitation to a child, a person having a right of custody of the child commits the offense of parental kidnapping if he or she removes, takes, detains, conceals, or entices away that child within or without the state, without good cause, and with the intent to deprive the custody right of another person or a public agency also having a custody right to that child.

  2. Parental kidnapping is a class E felony, unless committed by detaining or concealing the whereabouts of the child for:

  (1) Not less than sixty days but not longer than one hundred nineteen days, in which case, the offense is a class D felony;

  (2) Not less than one hundred twenty days, in which case, the offense is a class B felony.

  3. A subsequently obtained court order for custody or visitation shall not affect the application of this section.

  4. Upon a finding of guilt for an offense under this section, the court may, in addition to or in lieu of any sentence or fine imposed, assess as restitution against the defendant and in favor of the legal custodian or parent, any reasonable expenses incurred by the legal custodian or parent in searching for or returning the child.


(L. 1988 H.B. 1272, et al. § 2, A.L. 2008 S.B. 714, et al., A.L. 2014 S.B. 491)

Effective 1-01-17

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.