Huntertown, IN asked in Child Support for Indiana

Q: child support

A child resides with the custodial parent for 16 years but then at 16 the child was asked to move out and move in with the noncustodial parent but neither party goes thru the courts to have support changed or modified. Both parties agreed to allow the noncustodial parent to use the child support card for the two years while the child lived there and went to public school. When the child turned 18, he left home less then a month and is no longer residing with either parent. They parties were given paperwork at the courthouse to have child emancipated In the mean time the custodial parent still wants to claim the child on taxes even though the child did not live with her for the past two years. Taxes offices said that neither party can claim for child tax credit. The noncustodial parent claimed child as a dependent due to him living in our home for all of two years. Custodial parent says she can claim him because she paid auto insurance, cell phone and health insurance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: What is the question

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.