The Dalles, OR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: Is my motion granted?

Hood river Oregon. I filed a motion for prejudgment temporary order in a custody case.

A few days ago the lady at the courthouse gave me a packet of papers to serve to my wife and on the front page is an order to show cause and on it it says the motion is granted with the Box check marked. does this mean that what i asked for in my motion is good to go right now and in effect?

or do I have to wait for further things to occur?

Thank you

All of the lawyers are busy around here. I'll hire you if you are available.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I suspect the motion that was granted was your motion for an order to show cause. In other words, you made a motion to ask the court to set a hearing date and the motion was granted and a hearing date is not set. That's all you have accomplished so far. The hearing date is the opportunity for the other side to appear and "show cause" as to why your requested relief should not be granted. Due process requires you to serve the papers on the other side so they have notice of the hearing date and time to prepare. Then you will have to wait and see if they file a response or appear at the hearing. As for finding an Attorney, look for an Attorney as close to Hood River as you can find. Attorneys charge by the hour including traveling time so you don't want to hire Attorneys that are a long ways from the Hood River unless you can afford to pay the travel time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.