Miami, OK asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: My son is in college. Wanted to know how to make a "formal request" for his transcripts/grades.

We need to know what is considered a "formal request" of our son for his college transcripts so we can verify the hours he is taking and the grades he is making meet the guidelines for us to continue to pay child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There are two things to bring up when responding to this. The first is the literal answer. There is no formal method. You make a paper trail of asking. If you normally correspond by email, then request by email. You can send a certified letter asking for the transcript and grades to the child who is in school and a copy to the other parent. If it's not complied with or requirements not met, then you can file a request to terminate support on those grounds.

The second thing to bring up is the damage this could do to your relationship with your child by demanding information from them. Family law is often not black and white and we have to remind ourselves of the repercussions actions have.

Talk this through with an attorney located in the state where you're ordered to pay to best determine what to do for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.