Davenport, IA asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Got convicted for dv in Nashville tn. My public defender lied to me and told me after 7 yrs I could get gun rights bacK

Now I found out I can’t is there anything I can do to get them back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It depends on how long ago you pled guilty. Noone should ever plead guilty to Domestic Violence anywhere. Attacking your plea is probably futile, but you might try it. Maybe Diversion is still an option if the plea is withdrawn. Also within a year, you might try an ineffective assistance of counsel petition. At the least file a Board Complaint. If that lawyer actually lied to you to get you into an easy plea, then you should go after him. Lawyers like that make the rest of us look terrible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.