Du Bois, PA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I wanted to see what my husband and I can do legally to keep a toxic family member from seeing our children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the toxic family member has no legal custody rights to your children, then that family member has no right to "see" them either -- and you and your husband, as parents, can prevent access between the two.

If the toxic family member is a grandparent, I will tell you that he/she does have standing to petition a court for access to the children. But he/she would have to go through the courts -- and a court would have to allow it -- and that whole process takes a while. It's also a process you'd have notice of, and could participate in.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.