Beloit, WI asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: Is my husband entitled to any equity in my house that I owned before we were married? He has not made one payment.

My husband will not work a full time job. He barely works 15 hours a week. I have been paying everything since we have been married..which is two years. I am currently going through cancer treatment too and working full time. The only thing he has paid is the cable and internet. I pay everything else including his insurance. He says if I divorce him I will have to give him money. I own my house and have for 14 years. I just want to see what my rights are. I am tired of carrying him while he works when he wants to. ..while I go through chemo and radiation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should hire an attorney now for a divorce consultation. But yes, the other spouse can claim an equitable portion of the increase in value of separate real property since the marriage. I suspect that you have a larger problem: no grounds for divorce. Selling the house now, moving elsewhere, but staying married may be the best financial option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.