Lake Oswego, OR asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oregon

Q: I am a low income mom looking for a divorce lawyer that will help me for free. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Unfortunately the availability of free or low income legal services in Oregon are scarce. You can call Legal Aid (LASO) but they only take a certain type of cases so they are very limited.

The Oregon State Bar offers Lawyer Referral that gets you one cheap meeting ( about $35.00) but after that you will be asked to pay the lawyer's hourly rate and the lawyers participating in the program are often new lawyers looking to build their practice so they may not have a lot of experience.

There is the modest means program where the Oregon State Bar matches you with a lawyer who has volunteered to take cases at a low rate, but this is hit or miss depending on who volunteers.

The best bet is St. Andrew's Legal Services who will charge you, but on an income based sliding scale.

To be perfectly honest with you if your situation involves assets and your spouse might end up paying you spousal support, you might be able to afford and attorney and you should look for an experienced family law Attorney who is willing to work with you.

If your marriage is such that there really aren't any assets involved and probably no alimony, then you might want to investigate using the on line divorce forms, but pay for an Attorney to review the forms and give you some overall advice before you file the forms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.