Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: What todo if a father voluntarily terminated his rights for a stepparent adoption the mother asked for never happen?

If a father voluntarily terminated his rights after being asked by the mother claiming her current husband is wanting todo a step parent adoption then she never does the adoption then the father is left to pay child support is there away to Address the child support court with this matter to stop the support even though the adoption didn’t happen and she had me sign a petition for termination of rights and have it notarized after she and I agreed to the adoption and signed in agreement she never stopped the support and I’ve never been able to see my child even before termination of rights so I agreed it was in the best interest of the child to have another father take my place she wanted I wasn’t there from the start she wouldn’t even tell me when he was born and every time I try she refuses me the right to see him I’ve seen him 3 times and that was only because we had court she has no grounds todo this but I’ve not responded in retaliation I’ve only put up with it the best I can

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I gather from your question that you were asked to sign over your parental rights for a prospective stepparent adoption and termination of parental rights case. It is not the mother who files the petition, but the stepparent. If the petition was never filed and granted, then you are still on the hook for child support. If a petition was filed, you need to know and be served. You cannot force the stepparent to file such a petition. Even if the petition was filed and granted, it would not relieve of any arrearages that may have accumulated. You need to consult a local experienced family law attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.