Murfreesboro, TN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: I was found guilty of criminal contempt for violating an ex parte order of protection. Can it be expunged?

On the court website the charge shows as violation of a protection order, but it should have been criminal contempt. I know violating a order of protection is not expungeable, but I don’t know if criminal contempt is expungeable. I’m not sure if I should be worried that the charge may have been entered incorrectly. (Davidson county)

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Generally speaking, in the State of Tennessee, anything that shows you are guilty will stay on your record forever. A plea bargain is an admission of guilt. If it was a first time offence, then you may be eligible for diversion. If you get that, then you will have a suspended sentence for one year. Then you can apply for expungement, so long as you do nothing else within the year. However, it sounds like you have more on your record, and that would not apply. I would consult with local counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.