Nashville, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Me and my son have an order of protection against my childs father. Would he get visitation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: There may be more facts that would change this analysis. However, if a child has an Order of Protection (OOP) against anyone, that OOP would trump any previous Court ordered parenting plan. The person with a valid OOP against him cannot exercise visitation with the protected child. The OOP should include clear language that he is not to interact with you or your son. If he does you should call the police and report an OOP violation and request they arrest him. After the OOP expires he may be able to secure visitation in the future if that is what you are asking. If you have additional questions you may consider consulting with an experienced family law attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.