Anoka, MN asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: What to do if dad ends up having child more and still paying support to mom and she quits her job?

Hello, my bf is court ordered to have him on weekends and she has asked us to have him more. If we don’t have him his grandma does . Who doesn’t live with mom. We seem to be sharing custody with grandma not mom. Mom voluntarily quit job. And we’re still paying her $400 dollars a month. Is there anyway we can stop payments since we have been watching him more?

1 Lawyer Answer
Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: you cannot stop making payments unless the court modifies the child support order. You would need to go to court and ask first that parenting time be modified to reflect the actual situation, and then ask that support be modified per the new schedule. If mom voluntarily quit, income can be imputed to her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.