Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Colorado. Class 3 Misdemeanor, school is refusing to release evidence at this point, what are my next steps?

My Son, 18, is currently being charged with a class 3 Misdemeanor for property Damage under $200. The school is currently refusing to release the video and photo evidence. Wondering what my next steps are? What is the best way to pursue the charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janene McCabe
Janene McCabe
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Generally, when trying to gather evidence to support a defense it is best to hire an attorney who understands how to make demands for video and photographic evidence as businesses and universities are not necessarily required to provide it when asked. Attorneys work with investigators who understand the rules for making requests, when court orders might be needed, or when other tools might be necessary. If the State has collected the evidence during its investigation against a criminal defendant, they will be required to provide it through the discovery process. However, if the state is unaware of the evidence, it becomes necessary for the defense team to make sure to recover it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.