Pompano Beach, FL asked in Adoption and Family Law for Florida

Q: Does my fiancé have to adopt my daughter before we can change her last name to his? He’s taken care of her since age 2.

My daughter has her biological father last name but he was charged with child abuse and neglect against my daughter when she was 18 months so he hasn’t been in her life since then my current fiancé has been helping me take care of her since she was 2 years old and she told us she wants his last name she’s now 9.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Seeking a name change and seeking to adopt are two very different things. Call a family lawyer and ask for assistance.

Jean Richardson agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.