Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Can I sue WalMart and Bartow county police for assault, false imprisonment, and false arrest?

In June 2015, Walmart security took me to the back room where I was belittled, and accused of shoplifting, but they couldn’t find anything that I had supposedly stolen, so I stood up to leave, but was shoved back into the seat and sat on by one young man while another twisted my left arm around my back. The man in charge then dumped out the purse I had borrowed from my mom and there was 2 pain pills that I had no clue were in it. They still had nothing on me so they called the police and had me arrested for shoplifting and possession of a controlled substance not in their rightful containers. I spent 3 days in jail and $1000 on a bondsman, and have been purposefully put off on whether or not they were going to prosecute me for 4 yrs now! They have nothing to prove the accusations are true, so they didn’t prosecute. But it still shows as pending!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is best to contact an attorney as soon as possible who can assist you with the specifics of your case.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.