Republic, MO asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Missouri

Q: If child support amount is set in divorce decree can it be changed over the years???

Also, if you live in a different state then the child which states laws do you follow??? If you have it in your divorce decree to inform the other parent of moving to a different state with the child and fail to do that what legal action may the NCP take???

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Child support can be changed any time there is a change in circumstances that effects overnights, health insurance, income of the parties, and other factors resulting in at least a 20% change or a change in who pays.

Relocation is a separate issue, though someone relocating can effect the factors for child support. Failure of either parent to provide proper notice of relocation can result in a modification of child custody and parenting time. If you were given proper notice under the relocation statute and did not file a motion to prevent relocation, then the parent who provided notice can move.

You will want to speak with a local attorney about what you need to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.