Niota, TN asked in Legal Malpractice for Tennessee

Q: If you are told by your lawyer,"in order to keep services, pay $$ by next court date. Went to court w/$$ & lawyer said

That he wasn't going to be representing me any more. This was on the day of my court hearing. My lawyer wouldn't give me my case file or anything. What can I do pertaining to this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: No lawyer in TN can retain your case file, whether or not you owe that attorney money. There are things such a lawyer can retain such as his notes and impressions. If the attorney filed a notice of appearance or represented you before the Court, that attorney must file a motion to withdraw and you must given notice before the Court will relieve that attorney can withdraw. I suggest you write the attorney if in fact the attorney is withholding your file and let the attorney know that you can file a board complaint. Be careful, however, to be sure you have correctly stated the facts in your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.