Asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: my husband was discharged from hospital and made a financial agreement to pay 200 a month which I have been paying, now

they sent to collection no notice. also they say we owe more then we do.i have every receipt. this does not seem fair. what can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your husband should contact the hospital's billing/collections department to get more information. It is unlikely that they will deal with anyone other than him, due to HIPAA and other privacy laws.

He can ask them to provide records to support their version of the amount due. If it is revealed that they have made a mistake, he could bring it to their attention and ask them to fix it. If the account has been paid according to the terms that were agreed, he could request them to withdraw the account from collections. If there are more debts than he knew about and he can't pay them, he might wish to consider bankruptcy. For further assistance, consult with a collections defense or bankruptcy attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.