Lincoln, NE asked in Tax Law for Nebraska

Q: I have a court ordered judgment against me from my divorce. Can I use this amount in my Offer to Compromise

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Court ordered payments are allowed. Having said that the IRS will look at any income that will become available after an expense is paid off within the statute of limitations. Unless you have a very simple financial picture, you would be better off hiring someone to help you submit the Offer. I have frequently gotten Offers approved after a client has tried to submit one on their own. If you decide to hire someone, stay away from the places you see advertised on TV.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The IRS has a very useful tool on its website to help a person determine if they may qualify with their "Offer in Compromise Pre-Qualifier Tool."


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.