Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: I'm turning 17 in the next couple of months and I am getting emotionally abused, I have a job, am I able to move out?

I have depression also and my parents just harp on me and I have gotten to the point that I cannot handle it anymore because I am starting to get bad grades, and I no longer can see friends because of it. It has been happening for 5 years now and I cannot handle it anymore

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I think every 17 year old feels a mixture of hormones and depression that makes life challenging at that age. You are still legally a minor with no rights to contract so you can't rent an apartment among other things. Getting good or bad grades is something you can control so I would focus on your school work and be glad you aren't also struggling to figure out how to support yourself. Do what you can to minimize conflict with your parents and instead of planning for your escape I would start planning for how you are going to continue your education after high school. See what schools you are eligible to apply to and figure out how you will finance the next few years when you will definitely be living on your own. Get a part time job now and start saving. If you feel that you have clinical depression see a doctor and figure out what if any medication you need to be taking. But if this is more like teenage angst and hormones, doing regular exercise should help.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.