Hutsonville, IL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Illinois

Q: my question is case has been pending in the appellate court for more than three years and it is still pending.

I want to know what is the statute of limitations for a civil case before they must render a decision in the case. and what can I do to expedite the matter

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia Rote
Cynthia Rote
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Pecatonica, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is unusual for a case to be pending in the Appellate Court for this amount of time. If it is a complicated case there may be a reason for this. However, you may want to call the Appellate Court Clerk's office to inquire about the status to ensure that an order was not entered; it is possible that an order was entered and you did not receive it. If the case is still pending and there has been no action on the case for a significant amount of time you could consider filing a filing a motion with the Appellate Court requesting an Order be entered. More details would be necessary to determine the appropriate path forward and you should consider consulting with an attorney.

*This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be considered legal advice.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.