Philadelphia, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: Hi, my mom whom I lived with when my daughter was born 6 years ago lied and convinced me at the time that she was

given custody of my daughter by the court I was 17 at the time and my Grandmother backed this lie up and has my daughter in Deleware, while my mom is in PA. How do I get my child back now? I found out that no custody order ever existed and its been six years. I live in Pa. as well

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If your daughter has been with your grandmother in Delaware for the past continuous six (6) months, then you'll need to file a custody action in Delaware -- and consult with a Delaware family law attorney about how to do that. Pennsylvania would no longer have jurisdiction.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.