Des Moines, IA asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Iowa

Q: I have no idea what needs to be done regarding following matter...

Both my parents recently passed. Only 1 had a will and it named me as executor. Understanding is low and the stress is high. I have no idea what needs to be done. I have zero money for I'm guessing what would be a probate attorney. Is that even a financial obligation to me anyway? I'm getting collection notices from IA Medicaid and their former care facility. This needs to be behind me - HELP!

Update: Suggesting that the attorney's fees are paid out of the estate. I wish I could take comfort in that, but there is virtually zero value within their estate. For them to qualify for Medicaid coverage Medicaid made sure of that. Perhaps $2k in their bank account is the extent of their financials. Their property is 2 weeks away from going into foreclosure

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Schedule a consultation with a probate attorney in the vicinity of where your parents had lived. Often initial consultations are free. You might be pleasantly surprised to learn that the attorney's fees are paid out of the estate.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.