Robinson, IL asked in Health Care Law and Small Claims for Illinois

Q: My father has life threatening health issues. His Dr told him he can't be treated 4 years ago can he go to court?

Dr told my father he should be dead by now and he can't treat him. And threatened him. Can he take him to court even though it happened years ago?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for your father's ordeal. An Illinois attorney would need to answer this question, as it goes to the element of timeliness under the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit, which is a state-specific element of procedural law. But your post remains open for three weeks. Four years is a long time, and as a GENERAL MATTER, it sounds like it would be time-barred as a medical malpractice case in most jurisdictions. But speak with an Illinois attorney; only they are qualified to advise you on this element of law and any other legal theories under which they believe a cause of action might exist. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.