Bangor, ME asked in Civil Litigation for Maine

Q: I invested money with my uncle now he will not give me my money what can I legally do?

My mother passed away and left her life insurance to my uncle to distribute to us kids. The money was distributed to each kid and he then asked if I would like to invest with him in an account since he can get a higher rate of return and I agreed to invest. He will now not give me the money because he says it is bad timing. What can I do legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: The answer depends on what your agreement was with your uncle when you agreed to invest with him. If you have the right to request your money back at any time, then you can likely sue him in an effort to force him to give it back to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.