York, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: I am in York pa. The biological parent (dad) has not contacted or seen my daughter for 8 years.

He now says he wants to see her. She will be 13 in 3 months. 8 years ago he said he wanted to see her for the first time. We were court ordered for visits. That has long ended 8 years ago. He also wrote a letter, 8 years ago to me his lawyer her school and a mediator stating he was cutting off contact. She does not wish to see him as she does not know him. Can he just continue to come back whenever he feels like it? It’s an emotional rollercoaster for my daughter. Thank you The court ordered ended 8 years ago. PA las states after 6 months with no contact ... it’s abandonment. PA law also states 12-13 years old can decide if they want to have contact especially after this long with no contact. Is this true? And can he just walk back in her life?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If there's a custody order -- and it sounds like there is, if you were "court ordered for visits" -- then you must follow the court's order. If you disagree with the order, or wish to change it based on the passage of time and changed circumstances since its entry, you can file a petition to modify the court order.

Best of luck to you both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.