Jacksonville, FL asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Florida

Q: How can I put my deceased parents house in my name if the executor and other beneficiaries have no interest ?

My parents passed away 11 years ago and left the house to me an my other two siblings. The last time I seen the executor of my parents estate was back in 2011 when the house went into foreclosure. She signed papers to allow me to pay an save my parents home afterwards I tried contacting her in regards of putting the home in my name since I'm the only one paying the mortgage and taxes but she shows no interest in the home. My brother and sister have no interest in the home either and I haven't heard from them since our parents passing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren Nagel Richardson
Lauren Nagel Richardson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Even if you are not the executor named in your parents' wills, you can still file a petition to open the estate. You should work with a probate attorney to review all the facts and determine what type of estate to open. In the meantime, keep paying the property taxes.

Seril L Grossfeld agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.