Pensacola, FL asked in Collections for Florida

Q: Is a student responsible for tuition/book fees if the institution (a private) Kiser University, closed down.

The student does not have the money to pay for the tuition. Parent that signed them up (Mother) Divorced and does not make enough money to cover costs as well and does not own a home. Moved to Pensacola approx. 4 yrs ago. The credits are not transferable and now the University closed its doors.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you registered, signed an agreement to repay tuition, and actually took any classes offered by Kaiser University you are liable to them--regardless if they closed their doors. On the other hand, you may also have a valid claim against Kaiser University for failing to live up to its written agreement to you. You need to see a bankruptcy lawyer to help sort all this stuff out. .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.