Milton, KS asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: Living estate, Do I have any rights as the property owner before my step mom passes away?

She keeps moving things to her new homestead that had been on my dads place before they were married. ....hay barn, small round top shed..neither were attached to the ground. Those are just the things I noticed from the hwy way as she said i was not allowed on the property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doug Coe
Doug Coe
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wichita, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Tough to say without more info. I'd certainly reach out to an attorney to represent you and to get more thorough advice. With that said, if you own the property and she is a tenant, your rights are largely governed by the Kansas Landlord Tenant Act and the lease agreement, if any. As for relocating personal property, that's likely a matter of ownership. If it's hers, she can likely do as she pleases. Quite of bit of additional information would be needed though, before anyone could make a full assessment. Good luck!

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.