Suwanee, GA asked in Estate Planning for Georgia

Q: Petition for No administration vs. Petition for Letters of Administration

My dad died without a will in GA ( gwinnett county). The only assets he has are a house jointly owned with my mom with rights of survivorship and a business checking account which is solely in his name. No POD or beneficiary on the business checking. My question is would I file a “no petition for administration” ?. We all agree my mom should get the money from his business checking. We also agree she gets the house bc she is a joint owner.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You must file a Petition to Appoint Administrator to secure the funds in the business account for your mother.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.