Griffin, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: how do you get false imprisonment

will that show up on your criminal background? will that hinder you from getting a job? what are the punishments?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joe Kunes
Joe Kunes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tifton, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: A person commits the offense of false imprisonment when, in violation of the personal liberty of another, he arrests, confines, or detains such person without legal authority. It is considered a felony offense and carries a punishment of 1 - 10 years in the penitentiary (as long as the victim is over 14 years of age). Generally, if you are arrested for this crime, it will show up on a criminal background check. Some employers only care about convictions, however, which would mean that you pled guilty or were found guilty at trial. You may qualify for First Offender Treatment under O.C.G.A. 42-8-60 et seq. Contact a local Georgia attorney to get a free consult so that you can get more detailed advice.

This is offered for informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is established or assumed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.