Euless, TX asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: my grandfather recently passed away and I have not had contact with that side of family since my father passed 20 years

how do I find out if im in the will or if there is one and so forth, also i live in a different state and have married name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Dumas
Paul Dumas
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Morrilton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: File a “Demand for Notice of Probate” with the Probate Clerk’s office for the county in Arkansas where he was a resident at the time of his death. If and when a probate estate is opened for him, provided your “Demand” is filed correctly, Arkansas law requires that you be notified that someone has opened the probate, and provided with a copy of the will (if there is one), along with a copy of all the probate pleadings, before the Probate estate can proceed. You should contact an Arkansas attorney that handles probate matters to ensure your rights as an heir are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.