Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Bio Dad hasn’t seen my daughter in 14 months because of a order of protection. Can my husband adopt her? 10 years old.

He agreed to the order. He got arrested for felony stalking his wife. He has 5 other orders of protection. He has gone to rehab twice in the past 3 years for drug and substance abuse problems.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Dumas
Paul Dumas
  • Morrilton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: While your question is about adoption, in Arkansas you first have to address termination of parental rights, in this case the father’s. Under Arkansas law, besides death, there are only two ways a parent’s rights can be terminated. First, if they sign a written Consent that meets the statutory requirements. Even then, Arkansas law provides a mandatory waiting period before the Consent is effective. During that period, the consenting parent can revoke their consent and retain their rights. The only other legal method of termination of a parent’s rights is to allege and prove in court that the parent has “abandoned” their child, according to the statutory definition. In order to obtain a court finding of abandonment, the parent would have to be served with notice that you were trying to terminate their parental rights, and given an opportunity to respond to the court action. I would strongly advise you to contact an Arkansas attorney experienced in this area of law to assist you before taking any action. Through years of experience, I can tell you that in a situation like yours, proper planning, guided by an experienced attorney, is essential to accomplishing your goals

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.