Chicago, IL asked in Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: can my son be petitioned to juvenile court for not signing something saying he’s guilty of something he’s not?

my 12 yr old was asked to sign a station adjustment for an alleged battery and I told them no, so they want to petition Him to juvenile court. Does this mean he will be arrested? Do I need to bring him in when he didn’t commit the crime or will they issue a warrant?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Wolf
William Wolf
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes. It means he will be charged with an offense and go to juvenile court to answer to it.

He can have an adjudication hearing, which is a bench trial where the State has to prove to the judge that he is delinquent (guilty) beyond a reasonable doubt.

If he is found not delinquent, the case is over. If on the other hand, he is found delinquent, the judge can sentence him to supervision, probation, time in the juvenile temporary detention center, or to juvenile prison.

He needs a lawyer at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.