Denver, CO asked in Family Law, Adoption, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: Can I get emancipated in my situation? what are the steps I have to take? And how long will it take?

I’m 15 years old I haven’t been going to school for a year now and I also haven’t been living with parents for a year.i have chosen to leave my home because of some Physical abuse and negligence I am currently not going to school because my parents didn’t want to enroll because of family drama between my dads siblings I have asked for their help in enrolling me in school and they have rejected my offer They haven’t been in contact with me for almost a year and I don’t know what other steps to take besides removing myself from family.i have asked around to see if I can get enrolled some how and school of choice said I have to get a letter saying my parents give permission to my support so they can enroll me in school but family said no I have no idea what to do anymore

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. If abuse has occurred, you might consider speaking to your school counselor about the matter. That counselor could make a report to social services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.