Philadelphia, PA asked in Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a collection agency try to get you for a repossession from over 10 years ago?

My roommate had her car repossessed back in 2006. She had just received a call the other Day from Global International Services saying they have been trying to get a hold of her for years but had her old address...saying she owes $7,000 for her car...otherwise they were going to garnish her wages. She explained to them she was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and didn't have the they lowered it to JUST $500 THAT SHE this allowed and does she have to pay them......

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Probably not . . . unless Global actually has a judgment against her already. The statute of limitations for collecting on a civil judgment, however, is generally five (5) years, although the judgment can be "revived" for another five years if certain court procedures are undertaken by the judgment creditor within those first five years. Your roommate would've received notice of any attempt to "revive" any judgment against her during this time, though.

It sounds like this Global outfit is just a bill collector trying to collect on an old, unenforceable debt. It's probably a safe bet to call their bluff and tell them to sue her if they think they have a leg to stand on. And if she's going to go that route, there's zero reason to talk to them anymore -- ever. Best of luck to her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.